Types of Heart Diseases & Treatment for Heart Diseases by Dr AGK. Gokhale
The heart is the fist-sized pump that restlessly keeps the human body going. And obviously, any disease to this mighty organ can be highly detrimental to our health resulting in death when not treated as soon as possible. No wonder heart disease is the leading cause of death around the world accounting more millions of deaths.
Fortunately, medical science has reached a point of advancement where each of these diseases can be effectively treated by the advanced surgical treatment given the heart disease is treated as soon as possible. However, most patient lack awareness about heart diseases and its types. On the occasion of World Heart Day today in this blog we try to give you a basic understanding about heart diseases and guide you towards the best treatment for heart diseases in Hyderabad:
What is heart disease?
Heart disease is an umbrella term for several different medical conditions that affect the normal function of the heart.
It is a subset of Cardiovascular Diseases (CVDs) which is an umbrella term for diseases that impact both heart and blood vessels in the human body. Cardiovascular diseases are broadly classified into four categories of Coronary heart diseases, Strokes, Peripheral arterial diseases, and Aortic diseases. Used interchangeably in general, cardiovascular diseases refer both heart and blood vessel medical conditions while heart diseases refers to a set of diseases the impact the heart’s health and its normal functioning.
Causing more than 19 million deaths, CVDs are the number one causes of death worldwide, of which 80% are due to heart diseases. There are many types of heart diseases with different etiology that ultimately impact different areas of heart and most common heart diseases include:
- Congenital heart diseases: As the name suggests con-‘genital’ heart disease encompasses heart conditions that occur due to the birth defects of the heart muscle. This group of diseases can include septal defects (hole in the heart), obstruction defects (blood flow obstruction) and Cyanotic heart disease which cause a shortage of oxygen.
- Arrhythmia: A heart condition that causes an abnormal heartbeat that manifests in a heartbeat that is too fast, too slow or erratic in rhythm.
- Coronary artery diseases: Coronary artery that supplies the heart with nutrients and oxygen gets blocked due to plaque build-up or damage resulting in damage of the heart.
- Myocardial infarction: An interrupted blood flow due to clot in the arteries or narrowing of arteries interrupts the blood flow to the heart destroying a part of the muscle. Most commonly referred to as a heart attack.
- Heart Failure: Herat failure can happen when the heart becomes too weak to pump the blood efficiently to the other parts of the body. High blood pressure or coronary artery diseases can weaken the heart over time decreasing its efficiency.
- Pulmonary Stenosis: When the pulmonary valve becomes too tight, the heart finds it difficult to pump the blood from the right ventricle. To overcome the obstruction the right ventricle has to work extra hard and when this pressure become high treatment is needed to ward off the danger to the heart.
While above 6 are most common heart diseases experienced by heart patients in India, there are other heart diseases like Mitral valve prolapse, Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, Mitral regurgitation, dilated cardiomyopathy whose incidence is growing today. Fortunately, all the heart diseases can easily be treated using heart disease treatments and advanced heart surgical procedures by an experienced heart surgeon like Dr Alla Gopala Krishna Gokhale
PadmaSree Awardee, Dr Alla Gopala Krishna Gokhale – Best Heart Surgeon in Telangana
With an extraordinary record 15000 + open heart surgeries & 45 successful heart transplant surgeries and 4 Lung Transplant surgeries, PadmaSree Awardee Dr Alla Gopala Krishna Gokhale is one of the best heart transplant surgeons in India with a remarkable track record in all kinds of heart disease treatments. A pioneer in minimally invasive surgical procedures he has helped thousands of heart patients recover to complete health and can help you too. If you are looking for a consultation for your heart problems, you can contact him here: https://www.drgokhale.com/